The Encyclopedia of Arda - an interactive guide to the world of J.R.R. Tolkien
Dates
Constructed after the foundation of the Shire in III 1601
Location
The roadway running north from Deephallow to Stock, and possibly beyond
Race
Culture
Settlements
Meaning
A 'causeway' is a road raised above boggy ground
Note
Not to be confused with the Causeway of Gondor, running between Osgliliath and the Causeway Forts on the Rammas Echor

Indexes:

About this entry:

  • Updated 16 March 2014
  • This entry is complete

The Causeway

The road through the Marish

Encyclopedia of Arda Timeline
Years of the Trees First Age Second Age Third Age Fourth Age and Beyond
Map of the Causeway of the Shire

The roadway that ran north to south through the Marish beside the river Brandywine. This boggy region of the Shire's Eastfarthing was unsuitable for a typical road or track, and so a raised causeway was constructed through the fenlands. Its southern extent was the landing at Mithe, where the Shirebourn flowed into the Brandywine. From there it ran northwards through the village of Rushey and on at least as far as Stock (the course of the road continued northwards to the Brandywine Bridge, but it's unclear whether it continued to be a causeway beyond Stock).

The Causeway of the Shire is not to be confused with another road, also named 'the Causeway', that ran between Osgiliath on Anduin and the Wall of the Pelennor. Though the principle was the same - to provide a dry path through marshy ground - that Causeway lay far away to the south of the Shire in the land of Gondor.


For acknowledgements and references, see the Disclaimer & Bibliography page.

Website services kindly sponsored by Axiom Software Ltd.

Original content © copyright Mark Fisher 2013-2014. All rights reserved. For conditions of reuse, see the Site FAQ.