A name given, at least at the time of the War of the Ring, to Minas Tirith, Gondor's great fortified city that stood at the eastern extent of the White Mountains. In fact, at the time of the country's founding, Gondor's chief city had been Osgiliath, some miles east and north of Minas Tirith, but this ancient city did not survive through the Third Age. King Tarondor abandoned Osgiliath for Minas Anor in III 1640, and from that time on Minas Anor, later renamed Minas Tirith, was truly the City of Gondor.
For acknowledgements and references, see the Disclaimer & Bibliography page.
Website services kindly sponsored by Axiom Software Ltd.
Original content © copyright Mark Fisher 2002. All rights reserved. For conditions of reuse, see the Site FAQ.