The Encyclopedia of Arda - an interactive guide to the world of J.R.R. Tolkien
Dates
Founded after the settlement of the Shire in III 1601
Location
In southern Buckland, across the Brandywine from Rushey
Race
Culture
Pronunciation
sta'ndelf
Meaning
'Stone quarry'1

Indexes:

About this entry:

  • Updated 20 December 2013
  • This entry is complete

Standelf

A village of southern Buckland

Encyclopedia of Arda Timeline
Years of the Trees First Age Second Age Third Age Fourth Age and Beyond
Map of Standelf

The southernmost major village of Buckland, between the Brandywine and the Hedge as Buckland narrowed towards Haysend. It was reached by a road that ran southwards for some ten miles from the main settlement of the Bucklanders around Bucklebury and Buck Hill. The name 'Standelf' comes from the Old English for a stone quarry, implying that the village had grown up around such a quarry.


Notes

1

It might be hard to avoid noticing the word 'Elf' in the name 'Standelf', but in fact the village's name has no connection with Elves at all. It comes from Old English stan delf, 'stone quarry' (or possibly 'cut from stone'); compare 'Dwarrowdelf' ('Dwarf-delving') the Mannish name for the great underground Dwarf-city of Khazad-dûm.

See also...

Buckland

For acknowledgements and references, see the Disclaimer & Bibliography page.

Website services kindly sponsored by Axiom Software Ltd.

Original content © copyright Mark Fisher 1998, 2001, 2008, 2013. All rights reserved. For conditions of reuse, see the Site FAQ.