The Far Downs and surrounding country (partially conjectural)
The downlands that marked the western borders of the Shire, forty leagues (120 miles) west from the Brandywine Bridge. Of their geography almost nothing is known, except that the town of Greenholm seems to have been built among the Downs. It was from here that Fastred of Greenholm came, the first Warden of the Westmarch that lay between the Far Downs and, still further westward, the Tower Hills.
In the year IV 31 (or 1452 by the Shire Reckoning), the western border of the Shire was extended to reach the Tower Hills. After this time the Far Downs were fully enclosed within the Shire, and no longer marked its western extent.
For acknowledgements and references, see the Disclaimer & Bibliography page.
Website services kindly sponsored by Axiom Software Ltd.
Original content © copyright Mark Fisher 2001, 2005, 2007. All rights reserved. For conditions of reuse, see the Site FAQ.