The Encyclopedia of Arda - an interactive guide to the world of J.R.R. Tolkien
Dates
Built early in the history of Gondor, probably in II 3320 or shortly thereafter; at least partly destroyed in III 1437
Location
Osgiliath on Anduin, the old chief city of Gondor
Race
Division
Culture
Family
Other names

Indexes:

About this entry:

  • Updated 15 December 2016
  • Updates planned: 1

Dome of Osgiliath

The great dome of Old Gondor

Encyclopedia of Arda Timeline
Years of the Trees First Age Second Age Third Age Fourth Age and Beyond

One of the most important structures in Osgiliath, the ancient capital of Gondor. It was also known as the Dome of Stars, and within its hall stood the Master Stone, greatest of the four palantíri of the South-kingdom. In the early years of Gondor, the Dome appears to have held the Great Hall of Osgiliath, the throne room originally used jointly by Isildur and Anárion.

The Dome was seriously damaged in the civil wars of the Kin-strife, and in III 1437 the Tower of the Dome was destroyed and its palantír lost. The Dome itself is not mentioned after this burning of the city by Castamir, and by the time of the War of the Ring, probably no more than ruins remained of the ancient Dome that had been throne room to the sons of Elendil.


See also...

Stones of Gondor

For acknowledgements and references, see the Disclaimer & Bibliography page.

Website services kindly sponsored by Axiom Software Ltd.

Original content © copyright Mark Fisher 2015-2016. All rights reserved. For conditions of reuse, see the Site FAQ.