The Encyclopedia of Arda - an interactive guide to the world of J.R.R. Tolkien
Dates
Dol Guldur was built here in c. III 1050, and destroyed after the War of the Ring, beginning on 28 March III 3019
Location
The southwestern parts of Greenwood the Great (Mirkwood)
Pronunciation
a'mon la'nc
Meaning
'Naked Hill'
Other names
Dol Guldur (as part of the fortress built there by Sauron)

Indexes:

About this entry:

  • Updated 4 November 2008
  • Updates planned: 2

Amon Lanc

The hill beneath Dol Guldur

A hill in the southern parts of Greenwood the Great. After a millennium of the Third Age had passed, Sauron came to Amon Lanc and built a stronghold there. The hill and fortress were then together called Dol Guldur, and the wood in which it stood became known as Mirkwood.


For acknowledgements and references, see the Disclaimer & Bibliography page.

Website services kindly sponsored by Axiom Software Ltd.

Original content © copyright Mark Fisher 1999, 2001, 2008. All rights reserved. For conditions of reuse, see the Site FAQ.