Another name for the Dead Tree that stood in the courts of the Citadel of Minas Tirith. In origin it was the second of the White Trees of the city, a descendant of Nimloth, the White Tree of Númenor. Planted in III 1640, it grew in the midst of the highest tier of Minas Tirith for more than a thousand years. On the death of Steward Belecthor II, the White Tree also died, and the Gondorians were unable to find any seedling to replace it. Thus the Dead and Withered Tree was left standing in the courts as a memorial of Gondor's ancient heritage. It remained there until the time of the War of the Ring, 147 years later, when Gandalf led Aragorn to a new sapling of the line of Nimloth. At that time the Withered Tree was removed to the Tombs of the Silent Street, and a new White Tree was planted in its place.
For acknowledgements and references, see the Disclaimer & Bibliography page.
Website services kindly sponsored by Axiom Software Ltd.
Original content © copyright Mark Fisher 2013. All rights reserved. For conditions of reuse, see the Site FAQ.