The Encyclopedia of Arda - an interactive guide to the world of J.R.R. Tolkien
Dates
Built some time after the founding of the Shire in III 1601; demolished III 3019
Location
In Hobbiton, on the western side of the road north of the Water
Race
Culture
Settlements
A major building of Hobbiton
Meaning
A 'grange' was traditionally a communal storehouse or granary

Indexes:

About this entry:

  • Updated 16 February 2017
  • Updates planned: 1

Old Grange

A prominent building in Hobbiton

Encyclopedia of Arda Timeline
Years of the Trees First Age Second Age Third Age Fourth Age and Beyond

A large building that stood on the western side of the road from Hobbiton to the Hill. It consisted of a two-storey building on the road itself, connected to a series of wings that enclosed a yard. A 'grange' was traditionally used as a storehouse of grain, and though the Old Grange was much grander than a simple barn, it seems to have partly retained this connection (in his illustrations of Hobbiton - seen in J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator - Tolkien showed the Grange surrounded by large haystacks).. This perhaps implies a connection with the Old Mill, which stood just a little to the south of the Grange on the Water.

Whatever the Old Grange's purpose, it came to an end during the War of the Ring. At that time it was demolished, and in its place a series of sheds were erected.


For acknowledgements and references, see the Disclaimer & Bibliography page.

Website services kindly sponsored by Axiom Software Ltd.

Original content © copyright Mark Fisher 2011, 2017. All rights reserved. For conditions of reuse, see the Site FAQ.